If you are not sure what to do once you have finished school there are a wealth of opportunities available to you. Doncaster College
has some of the best educational facilities in the country and is the largest provider of further education in South Yorkshire with courses ranging from GSCE to Postgraduate studies.
However, Higher Education isn’t just about university. There are many different options available, and you don’t have to give up studying if you want to earn money to support yourself or your family. You might decide to study and work at the same time, or work now and then return to study later. What’s more, there are many types of vocational and general qualifications – in fact, over 50,000 higher education courses at more than 500 universities and colleges.
It is very different from school – there is much more choice in how you study.
- If you’re concerned about the cost of Higher Education, then there is financial help available. Each person is different, but there can be a manageable and realistic option that suits you. Student Finance Direct
has useful information about financial assistance that is available to you.
- A levels aren’t your only route into Higher Education:
- Vocational courses teach practical skills, perhaps with a specific job in mind such as hotel management or building construction.
- Apprenticeships are another way of getting into Higher Education. It allows you to earn money and learn practical skills at the same time. There are Apprenticeships available in a range of different industries – from administration to manufacturing to retail.
- Remember many higher education institutions also interview candidates to assess their suitability for courses. So it isn’t just down to grades – your personal experience and previous work experience could help you get a place on a course.
Opportunity? - Doncaster Choices has a list of post-16 courses in Doncaster and the surrounding area. Alternatively Voced has lists of jobs in South Yorkshire. DMBC also has more information on Post 16 Educational Support and Higher Educational Support in Doncaster.